View single post by Gary E. Andrews
 Posted: Fri Nov 12th, 2021 12:27 am
PMQuoteReplyFull Topic
Gary E. Andrews

I did that years ago by checking out where artists were touring, the venues, and compiling them by geographic region.
Of course those were people who had a name, apparently, Big names and lesser lights, and could book because they were making a splash. Many have played those venues previously and so the venue Decision-Maker knows who they are. For a new act, well, try it and see. I seem to recall some asking for a specific list of items in a Press Kit, a CD perhaps, biography, whatever might help them decide about you.
As in all relationships, don't over-promise and under-deliver.
I heard a guy on National Public Radio who they said was making six figures by working a region from his home base. I came in late so I didn't get his name, and I was making deliveries so I was in and out of the car and missed the whole story. But, hey; six figures. Five of those could be zeroes and the other one would be a pretty nice income for most folks, no matter what it is; 1 through 9.
Ooo! 9! Number 9! Number 9! Number 9!
Figuring out a circuit you can reasonably travel in, centered on your home base, could be very practical. Unless you've got a number one on the charts with a bullet you don't want to book L. A. and New York on Friday and Saturday this week. What's reasonable, given your finances, and ability to get there. Live play is resurgent, although Corona Virus is too. And Live Play can get some buzz started. Be prepared for success. If they want to buy your music in any form, download, download card, USB, hard-copy Compact Disc, Vinyl, and you can accommodate their choice, that can make you money.
Merchandising is a whole other line of revenue. Hats, t-shirts, pictures, sew-on patches, bumper stickers, smaller stickers, whatevers. If that's what they want, sell it to them. A guy said he made more selling merch than he did playing with a touring cover band.
Build your press kit. If you can play local radio, live or get them to 'spin' your tunes, to promote your show, and bring in a crowd, the venue is likely to want to have you back. Getting local newspapers, websites, music stores, whatevers to give you some advertising, an interview, a story, again, bringing more people into the venue, they're likely to want to have you back. Having those 'endorsements', if that's what they are, or those interviews, to show other venues, all good.
Think about your home base and a range around it, 60 miles/kilometers, 100, 110 (55 mph); what can you do in that zone, north, south, east, west? Libraries? Schools? Corporation conferences? Bars and clubs of course. But keep an open mind about potentials, and everyone in the band has to be a 'Hawk' for data. If someone tells any of you anything about a place that hires, get that data. Churches? Music clubs, various genres, Folk, Country, Rock, etc.
Prepare to be successful and to capitalize on that success.