View single post by Tekboy
 Posted: Mon Jun 17th, 2019 07:38 pm
PMQuoteReplyFull Topic
Tekboy

RainyDayMan wrote: It's nice that someone likes your song and wants to sing it at home! There's a compliment right there!

For me, once I feel like the song is complete, I am happy to post and share it. If I feel like it is still evolving then I will likely hold off, or I may post it here for feedback but not on a more general site like Facebook etc.

The issues re copyright come down to proof. It's unlikely that you will ever need to go to court to defend against copyright infringement, but should it become necessary, what proof can you offer that you wrote the song and at what date? Posting on Soundcloud, Facebook etc is evidence and carries a date, so that is helpful. Over time there is a chance that any given site may close, so relying on a single website may not be ideal. There are other ways if you care to, such as registering your song with your performing rights association, having someone witness a written copy, (particularly a lawyer or justice of the peace) or sending them via registered mail and keeping them unopened afterwards but these will need effort and in some cases money to achieve. If your intention is to write commercially you may need to give this more thought, if you write for pleasure, then personally I wouldn't overthink it.This exactly how I feel about this. It costs absolutely no money these days to copyright and license your songs. If you have a good one, do what is stated in the quote, and have at it. If someone hits with it, it is payday for sure. If not, people will enjoy the song anyway, which is what music is really about.